Now is the time of year for change. With fall comes back-to-school, changing leaves, and new aspirations. What might you want to change? Challenging ourselves with new goals can be, well, very challenging, but we have to start with day one.
MAKING IT REAL; TURNING GOALS INTO YOUR NEW REALITY
1. Positive. When goal setting, frame in the positive, like walk opposed to don’t run.
2. Specific. Be as specific as possible. Include dates, amounts, and what success will look like. How will you measure if you’ve reached your goal? Instead of lose weight, say lose six pounds by Thanksgiving by jogging for 2 hours per week at Buffalo Park.
3. Why. Think about “why.” What will you or the world gain if this goal is reached? List every reason. Write the reasons down where you can see them every day.
4. Just do it. Don’t wait for the motivation to come; if you do, you may wait a lifetime. Just get to it. Put one foot in front of the other, and soon enough, you will have momentum. Set checkpoints along the way to your larger goal.
5. Mentor. Find people who successfully do (or have done) what you want to accomplish. Ask their secrets to success. Meet with these mentors for maintained support and to discuss your progress.
WORDS TO LIVE BY
• “A goal without a plan is just a wish list.” Antoine de Saint-Exuperys
• “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” John Quincy Adams
• Only 8% of people reach their New Year’s Resolutions.
• Although you may have heard varying statistics about how long it takes to form a new habit, many experts concur that it takes a minimum of 66 days.
Looking to improve your leadership? Watch one or all of these 12 talks on “How to be a Great Leader” from Ted on your lunch break; the playlist include folks like the COO of Facebook.
The videos range from 6 – 20 minutes, and they are free to watch.
To keep abreast on leadership topics, hear more about what others are tackling, ask questions, or share your goals, visit our Facebook page.
If you or your team are striving toward optimal success, Lancaster Consulting provides personalized coaching, team building events, motivational presentations, and workshops for your professional needs. And I love to catch up with previous clients; I am always game to hear about your successes, your challenges, or just catch up. Feel free to drop me a line!